Monday, June 29, 2009

New Reality

Went to the doctor's today for verification. Two weeks ago I found a tick on my lower abdomen. Approximately 10 days later, I noticed a very red rash in that area. By this morning the rash had spread around both of my sides. It was itchy but if I scratched it, it burned. Nasty. So when I went into the doctor's this morning, I told him about the tick and showed him the rash. First thing out of his mouth was, "yep, you have Lyme disease." He said that based on that, they do not even run a blood test. Just put me on the medicine, Doxycycline, for 21 days. Have to make sure that I use the sunscreen lotion liberally. Since Carol has had this at least two times, I know what to expect as far as side effects. I am planning to continue my training (such that it is) as much as I can. I look at it as a small impedment. I am not injured and have no desire to allow this to bother me. For all my years of running in the woods, this is my first experience with Lyme. For some reason, ticks never seemed to bother me. I can not say that anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment